- Born in Toledo, Ohio, in 1936, first child of Clark and Thelma Freed
- Earned a Masters of Fine Arts degree (cum laude) in 1962 from the University of Iowa, studying under legendary printmaker Mauricio Lasansky. Received Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Miami University of Ohio. He also studied at the Royal College of Art in London, England.
- Visiting Lecturer:
Reading University, England (1992)
Central School of Art, England (1989, 1986, 1977, 1976, 1969)
Brighton School of Art, Brighton, England (1989)
Is Bisonte, Florence, Italy (1989)
Longhborough School of Art, Longhborough, England (1986, 1976)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville (1997, 1974)
John Ruskin School of Drawing, Oxford, England (1972, 1970)
V.C.U. Award of Distinction, Southern Graphic Council (2009)
Theresa Pollak Prize for Excellence in the Arts, Richmond, Va. (2001)
Faculty Grant-in-Aid, Virginia Commonwealth University (1989-90; 1983-84)
Virginia Museum of Fine Art (1983-84)
Nattie Marie Jones Fellowship (1983)
World Print Competition (1977)
Fulbright Grant (1963-64)
After Fulbright, returned to U.S. in 1964 to teach sculpture, design and children's classes at the Toledo Museum of Art School.
- Moved to Richmond, Va., in 1966 to start printmaking program at Richmond Professional Institute, which later became Virginia Commonwealth University. He is now professor of printmaking. Maintains his own studio in Richmond.
- Worked in Paris for four months after being granted use of studio apartment at Cite des Arts and receiving a Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Fellowship.
- Took trips to Florence, Italy, giving talks and teaching at Studio Art Center International.
- Appeared in 2000 Outstanding Artists of the 20th Century published by International Biographical Center, Cambridge, England. Also Who's Who in American Art; Who's Who in America and the Biographical Encyclopedia of American Sculptors, Painters & Engravers from the Colonial Period to the Present.
- Retrospective art exhibit in 2001 at Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Lives with wife, Mary, in Richmond, Va. Has two grown sons.